Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Curtains Drawn

Holding our weapons tightly, we gathered around the double doors leading to Avaro Tiegel’s personal chambers. Markas gripped the doorknobs tightly and with a flick of his wrists the doors sprang open. The master’s chamber was opulent and lavish. Embroidered tapestries hung from the walls and ornate bookshelves filled the spaces in between. Trays of rotting food dotted the low tables spread throughout the room. Tiegel and his spawn lay sprawled across fine cushions layered over the wood floors. A huge wooden desk occupied one full corner. Two stacks of paper rested upon it and between it a severed hand floated in the air, busily writing out page after page of letters. As usual, the windows were painted black.

Markas charged straight for Tiegel and swung his flail. The flail connected with Tiegel’s shoulder and lightning shot out to everyone within 10 feet of the baron. From the door, Kalena tossed an orb onto a spawn wearing a blue waistcoat and the resulting shock knocked two others off their feet. Garn charged into the room right behind Kalena’s attack, devastating the vampire in blue. Sneaking behind Garn and Markas, I made for the right side of the room, hoping to get near as many of the spawn as possible while I prepared to turn the vile undead. Yvala sprinted into the room and, with a well placed dagger, brought the attendant to his final resting place.

Baron Tiegel smiled so that his elongated canines showed. “Oh good,” he said in a voice like rich velvet, “breakfast.” He stared deep into the paladin’s eyes, but the half-elf was unamused. Snarling, the vampire master brought his ornate broadsword across Markas’s chest. I stole a glance to my side and, to my horror, saw the flesh closing over Tiegal’s shoulder. The vampires were slowly moving in toward me, but as I was in the middle of preparing my prayer, there wasn’t much I could do to protect myself. Seeing my predicament, Kalena moved into the room. Stopping behind Markas for protection, she traced a complicated sigil in the air. “Sorry Tavia,” she said as the symbol glowed green. A wall of sound burst from the spot. It hit me with a bruising force but hit the vampires closing in on me with just as much power and the blackened window behind me shattered. Driven by the force of the spell, a vampire in a red dress flew out the window and compelled by gravity, fell to the ground. A second was pushed through the battered frame but I could still see his hands holding the broken pane. Looking up into her green eyes, I expressed my gratitude to the wizard. “I don’t think there’s any way I can thank you for doing that.”

Seeing that I was now safe, Kyri moved the trajectory of her arrows to the master, but by now the Baron was fully awake. He held up his hand and the arrows turned aside just enough to flutter his clothing as they went by. The vampire hanging from the window lost his grip and plummeted to the ground. A female spawn tapped Kalena on the shoulder and whispered “Behind you.” It attempted to trap her in a gaze but the wizard merely shook her brown hair and parried its attack. I vocalized the words to my prayer and the searing wind blew into the three vampires still around me. One slammed into the wall, another burst into the cloud of dust, and the master slid in front of an unopened window. Yvala obliged by firing her crossbow through the glass pane.

Markas attempted to strike Baron Teigel again but the vampire’s reflexes were faster than the half-elf’s. “Are you sure you wouldn’t want to relax?” the vampire crooned. Markas’s eyes glazed over and he swayed on his feet. “Ah that’s what I was waiting for,” said Baron Tiegel before he opened his mouth wide to feed off the paladin but an arrow slammed into his forehead, cutting off the attack. He surged forward again but his teeth clanged off the plate armor. Annoyed, he snarled “What’s a guy got to do to get a good meal around here.”

Kyri spun and slammed two arrows into two remaining spawn. They died messily, spraying the stacks of paper with ichor. A thrust from Garn’s spear brought down the last one, shouting at Markas to “Shake it off” as the vampire crumbled to dust. Luckily, I was able to catch a lance of faith across Tiegel’s chest, the radiant power of the prayer doing far more damage than it would to a normal opponent. Markas managed to stun Avaro Tiegel, allowing Yvala to toss a shuriken at the Baron and Kalena to place a cloud of daggers over his head. Garn moved in, cutting off Teigel’s only path out of the sunlight. At that point it was fairly easy for Yvala to sneak up behind and strike a terrible blow with her flaming sword. A final blow to his wounded shoulder was too much for the vampire to take and he crumbled to dust.

A silver circlet peeked out from Avaro’s ashes. We stuck it in Markas’s bag and dove into the papers with enthusiasm. Despite being soaked with vampire blood, the stacks of letters were still readable. Kyri and I volunteered to go through the stacks while Kalena, Garn, Markas, and Yvala began on the numerous bookshelves. The letters were written in a number of languages, mostly common, and the bulk were boring correspondence and party invitations. Kyri found one in high fiendish that she presented to Kalena. “Well it references Aurincia and Perinor. And there’s a date that’s a little less than five years in the future, but that’s all I can glean. We’d need to find someone pretty shady to be able to read the rest.” She tucked the letter into her pack.

Thankfully the letters and documents provided enough information for us to piece together the heritage of House Wyvern. The heir we were searching for was one Polyxena Thanaphe. The deposed princess was currently under the protection of House Hydra in their stronghold of Mason’s Rock. It was a few days overland from Tiegel’s manor, but could also be accessed from nearby coves. Yvala looked decidedly unpleased that we would be traveling to the city, but didn’t say anything. We grabbed maps, nautical charts and any document relevant to House Wyvern, and we headed outside.

“I don’t feel good about that stairway or the door with the sigils. Either one could contain a portal to hell.” Markas said as we exited the manor. “Well, we could burn it down,” stated Kyri frankly. “I suppose…” Markas began but trailed off. I followed his gaze to see a line of dust rising up from the road. Quickly we hid in the bushes alongside the porch to wait. Much to our surprise, Rhegar appeared. He jumped down from his horse and started toward the manor.

“Rhegar, it’s finished. We killed Baron Avaro Tiegel,” said Kyri. “What are you doing over there, then?” he asked. “We were debating whether or not to burn it down.” Rhegar looked at the lot of us incredulously. “Well yeah. You people talk too much.” Shaking his head at our actions, he launched into a small speech.“I return with news. The Council has spoken. The lands of Arborea shall remain a mystery no longer. A ship has been fitted, supplied, and crewed, and they have renamed her the Silver Talon. We are to meet her at sea. Garn, in the name of your ancestor Krazixaz, you are to lead the expedition. We all know the prophecy and none would sail there but under your command. And Garn, Nala is aboard the ship and waits to hear of your adventures.” He looked around at us as if to hurry us. “So let us make haste. Round up the last of the slaves and burn this hellish house to the ground.”

“But there still may be slaves inside,” protested Markas. “So light the fires and break open the windows. We really don’t have time for this sort of thing.” Rhegar went to gather kindling from the forest, disgusted with our lack of movement. “You know we have a wizard who can set fires.” Markas said. “And a cleric.” I added. “Oh, no. The lot of you would have to discuss it first.” Annoyed by the paladin, I uttered the word that lit the hand crossbow on fire. “Fine.” I said testily and aimed for the window of the sigiled room. Rhegar’s face lit up immediately. “Now that’s more like it.” He continued to light small fires along the perimeter. Kalena and I dropped spells and prayers of flame into the manor. Kyri even relieved me of the crossbow to launch a few bolts onto the roof. Before long the building was burning nicely. Through one window we could see bone devils chanting around a pentagram, but they seemed unable to leave. In any case none of us knew what they were doing. Taking several horses from the stables, we rode quickly back to the Southern Stream and headed to sea to meet the Silver Talon.

The celestial messenger aboard our ship led us to the Silver Talon in just under two days. To my delighted surprise, my dear friend and indeed the dragonborn who had taught me to speak and read draconic – Cora – was aboard the ship. She scooped me up in a crushing embrace that lifted my toes two feet above the decking. “Oh I’m so glad to see you. I was afraid that I wouldn’t be able to say goodbye properly before we shipped off for Arborea. But then Bishop Jorda told me you were sailing with Garn.” She said happily. Setting me down, she ran an eye over my gear. “I have to admit that you have acquired a nice set of chainmail in your travels. But where is your staff?” “I traded it out in our latest adventure.” I said, holding up the shield and bastard sword. Cora laughed. “About time. I never understood why you carried that thing around instead of a good solid shield. But the sword has got to go. Come on, we’ll find a mace to fit those tiny hands.”

Less than an hour later I watched as the Silver Talon sailed off for the frozen continent where my father and brothers fished rich waters. I stared after the ship long after she sailed over the horizon, well aware that I may never see my three dragonborn friends again. “Tavia, come inside and get some rest.” Kalena said, from the doorway to the forecastle. “You’re going to need the rest for when we reach Mason’s Rock.” I nodded my head, and she headed back inside. I offered one last silent prayer before following her. Kord, keep their sails filled and their sword arms strong. Let them have the strength to retake their homeland.

No comments: