Friday, June 27, 2008

Joining the Order

I was shaken awake at dawn by a royal page, who told me an assembly had been called in the courtyards and my presence was requested. Having spent the night in the infirmary, I was surprised to see roughly two dozen people waiting. Unlike the hopefuls I had encountered on the road, this group were seasoned fighters and casters. One of the guards gave Farin a nod as the last few stragglers appeared on the yard. Travis was one of the late-comers, face carefully blank but his muscles wound tighter than a clock spring. I had the feeling that he run afoul of the law in these parts more than once.

Farin praised the efforts of the assemblage. “I am grateful for the great deeds accomplished during the night. I have heard tales of temples and homes saved from certain destruction. Numerous acts of bravery allowed citizens of Aurincia to escape to safety. Dragons, including one preventing access to this very castle, have been slain. I know you came here to compete for the chance to join the Order of the Rampant Dragon. Your presence here this morning is a far better test of your constitution and bravery than any contest I could have devised. I am hereby inducting all present into the Order.”

“But your trials are not over. The forces of evil are set to drag this world down into the long night. The forces of Tiamat still hold Aurincia under siege, but it takes more than a rag-tag group of devils and Abishai to take us down. The city will hold and Perinor will prevail. I hope that I can count on each of you to help us take back the city.” I saw Travis looking about nervously out of the corner of my eye, while Markas, Rhegar, and several other paladins looked expectedly resolute. “Take some time to replenish your ammunition from our stores and my captains can give you more information on where help is needed most.”

Having no need for a weapon other than my quarterstaff, I stayed in the courtyard. Mulling about I inquired after Kord’s preiesthood. Several had been seen in the fight for the western gate, but no one could tell me where their activities were concentrated this morning. Probably still at the gate. I was secretly pleased with the lack of information. It meant I could stay with my companions from last night, and I had enough experience to know that we could continue to work well together. Vixi was the first to returned and I chatted with her as the rest of our little group appeared in the yard. Unconsciously we gathered together, our journey through the city forming small ties between us.

One of the generals noticed our group and headed purposefully in our direction, two clerics in tow. “We saw your skirmish with the little red in front of the gates last night. It took extraordinary bravery to take on the beast without knowing what awaited you inside. I was hoping the eight of you could assist me with a difficult task.” I nodded my head for him to go on and saw Kyri, Garn, and Rhegar doing the same. “Good. Vecyn and Manosis arrived just before sunrise with news of a dire situation at the temple of Pelor. It seems a large number of the populace have sought sanctuary there and the priests feel that such as large grouping will attract unwanted attention. I need you to go and bring the children and injured back here where they will have more protection.” I had been twirling my staff idly about my hand, an old habit I perform when I am considering my options. Grinning, I looked straight at the weary clerics. “Since no one can tell me the where abouts of Kord’s clergy, I am free to pick a cause of my choice. I offer you my staff in your endeavor.” The others soon chimed in their agreement.

We headed out immediately. Travis and Kyri alternated scouting duties for the party as we trekked through the streets. Kalena was able to find an entrance to the sprawling catacombs beneath the city streets and we emerged less than 5 blocks from the temple. Rather than continue to creep around, Garn and the paladins decided it was time for a show of strength. Drawing their weapons and spreading sneers across their faces, we strode boldly down the street. The effect was fairly impressive and the minor devils menacing the temple doors took off at a sprint as we approached.

One hundred and fifty or so souls were crowded inside the cathedral. I moved about performing small healing chants as Kyri and Rhegar consulted with the presiding bishop about the situation. Kalena and Vixi began selecting the youngsters, mothers and walking wounded who could make the trip back to the castle. Travis kept watch while Garn and Markas counseled those that would be staying on defense tactics. In the end we had about thirty citizens. Knowing that we would no longer be able to bully our way through the devil patrols and that our speed would be significantly slowed, the eight of us circled to brainstorm on the problem. It was Kyri that came up with the solution. “We bluff. We don the tabards we picked up at the docks and say we are bringing new slaves to the Abishai.” Rhegar stood furiously, icy smoke curling around his muzzle. “I will not put on such filth! It is blasphemy to Bahamut!” He snarled. “It would be much easier if you would but since you refuse you will not ruin our gamble.” I said, pointedly. One of the monks found a robe large enough to cover the dragonborn and his plate armor and he slipped it over his head, still muttering.

Our party set to go we slipped through the doors and onto the street. I led the way back to the catacombs with Garn beside me, playing the role of a loyal lieutenant. Despite our preparation, we encountered no patrols along the way and I could sense the apprehension of the party growing as we neared the castle. Popping out of the crypts, we were confronted with the reason behind our easy walk. The entire army of marched on the castle gates. Devils and dragonborn brusiers were too numberous to count. Eight abishai surrounded a dark woman on a raised dias who could only be Tiamat herself. I could hear Rhegar cursing the avatars in rumbling draconic. “Don’t even think about attacking and jeopardizing the lot of us.” Garn warned him.

We hurried behind the army to the temple of the Raven Queen and left the terrified civilians with clerics there. With the drawbridge under attack and time running out, we had one option left. Eight bodies splashed in the water. Ugh. I forgot how hard it is to swim while wearing chainmail. I thought as the weight pulled me under. Garn and Rhegar were also having problems staying afloat. Kyri tossed out a rope as Kalena pulled herself up on the platform. Markas and Travis also reached the dock, and Markas pulling a rope from his own pack as Travis turned to the lock on the door. Finally we all reached the dock and barely taking time to breathe, charged up the stairs to the courtyards. We arrived just in time to see Prince Farin negotiating with Tiamat. A wicked smile spread across her face, as she clasped his hand and the two vanished into thin air. The Abishai blew a retreat and the devils and monsters scurried back to their ships, looks of triumph spread across their faces. The high counsel stood dumbly in the courtyard, as shocked by what they had seen as the rest of us.

No comments: